Last week we had a training conference call that gave us a ton of information regarding the details of what we will be doing. We also received multiple emails that included our schedule, packing list, team assignments, and even common lingo of a Lighthouse Family Retreat. (If you don’t want to read info. regarding the retreat, please scroll down to the ways you can pray).
We are called a ‘Family Partner’ and the family attending with a child currently undergoing treatment for cancer is called a ‘Retreat Family’. As a Family Partner we have 4 main assignments:
- RETREAT FAMILY PAIRING: You will be paired directly with a family living through childhood cancer for the week. They will be your main responsibility and they will be in your care throughout the week. You will receive information about your Retreat Family and who you are partnered with upon arrival at the retreat.
- FLIP FLOP: Each Family Partner will be assigned to lead and or serve in a Flip Flop group for the week.
- MEAL TEAM: Each Family Partner will be assigned to either a breakfast, lunch or dinner meal team.
- HOSPITALITY: Each Family Partner will participate in either a morning clean up or afternoon turn down of their Retreat Family’s housing unit.
As most of you know I have a history with Kanakuk and there is a fun Kamp Lingo (F.O.B., Kitchikomo, FUAGNEM, and much more) that you get used to when you are there. Whether it is the fun Kamp songs (“I’m a little coconut”) or the certain phrases you don’t want to say (“Okay”) it just makes the experience that much more fun.
LFR is no different. Here are few definitions of special lingo/phrases that you may read about in my updates next week:
- Morning Watch: Time of worship and short devotional each morning
- Common Ground: This is the time for the parents to meet together and we take care of the kiddos
- Flip Flop: Kiddos are divided by age into their Flip Flop group – this is happening while the parents are at Common Ground
- Unbirthday Party: This is Parent’s Night Out while we have a huge birthday party celebration for all the kiddos
- Conched Out: This is free family time – Family Partners (Us) & Retreat Families (Them) get to recharge and refuel however they so choose. If that’s a nap, or beach time, or pool time. It gives everyone time to just be together as a family.
We are walking into unfamiliar territory, but are excited to be able to serve together as a family. We so appreciate your prayer support as well as your financial support.
Ways you can pray for us this week:
- My in-laws as they keep Luke & Garrett for us.
- Energy, compassion, and servant hearts for the three of us as we serve together.
- The idea of putting others first and serving be something that becomes deeply rooted in Hamilton’s heart as he experiences this mission work.
- Health and safety
- Connection between the three of us
- Our Retreat Family – that us as their Family Partner we would connect and bond quickly and that our story could encourage them
- That we let them see and experience the real C word: Christ!
And if you were still hoping to give financially to our trip here is the information to do so. We are only about $900 short of being fully funded which is amazing since last week we were double that! Thank you for your generosity!!
- Online: https://app.mobilecause.com/vf/LFR2019/AshleyJansen
- Mobile Phone: Text LFR2019456 to 71777
- Mail a check to: Lighthouse Family Retreat, 4470 Chamblee Dunwoody Road, Ste. 200, Atlanta, GA 30338. Please make sure you put on the memo line: Ashley Jansen – Retreat #5